Saturday, January 11, 2014

Starting again.

I have abandoned my quilt top, it just won't line up! I may finish it later but I REALLY want to get a piece done for the challenge. So it has been put aside for the moment.
Now I am making it up as I go along.  It started out fairly easily, just try the technique I learnt with Olga Walters. No need to cut out any fabric, I had all of offcuts from the previous attempt.
See, keeping all those little bits is good.

I had a piece of cotton voile that was the right size and I had enough Vliesofix to cover it.
Then I laid out some of the largish bits of the offcuts in a horizontal way, using the unfinished top as a template.

I didn't lay them out too precisely, precise is obviously not my thing. There were some tiny spaces between a few of the pieces of fabric which meant that the much smaller pieces of fabric were now useful.
Then I got to use the long, very thin bits that I just hadn't been able to bring myself to throw away.  You get them when you cut with a rotary cutter and are aligning the edges, ready for the actual accurate cutting.
So they have been laid out vertically.



2 comments:

parlance said...

Ah, the benefits of never throwing anything out...

Mary said...

Well Parlance, it has been beneficial this time but there is still a big container full of scraps that need to be sorted. Doing this quilt has made me start to sort them into colours, now I just have to do the ones that are offcuts of quilts and are sewn together, etc. All too hard at present.