I found some satin fabric that I got somewhere - probably from the sharing bin at the Embroiderers Guild, Victoria. I am not sure what I thought I would do with it but it has turned out to be the colour I wanted for the edges. I have sewn the right side in, so that the less shiny back is visible.
I now have a new appreciation for anyone who handles silk satin! It is slipper and frays. But it is working so far.
I will have to work out how to sew in the ends of my various shapes so that they attach to the central part of the vessel but I am leaving that till last, possibly the last minute.
Here is the progress so far.
I took apart an old, unsuccessful, machine embroidery and sewed that onto the front and back of the vessel.
You can see the idea so far, with the separate pieces to be attached.
This piece is sewn so that it is now 3D, to be attached to the sides once the other pieces are done.
Today is 18/9/18. Hope they are done in time for the exhibition!