Saturday, January 12, 2019

What was I thinking?

I had intended making a small quilt for a new baby, due in 5 weeks.
The baby arrived early!! All is well with mum and bub. Phew. But now I have to get cracking.

I got out my yellow and green fabrics, cut them into squares, ready to make a simple small quilt.



The top is now made.
Taking the photo in the gloaming has highlighted the lighter fabrics that aren't so obvious in full daylight. Interesting.

It is just a random size, there isn't a lot of coherent information online about what size to make. Even cot quilts have large variations in their sizes. So it is just a little quilt that can be thrown on the floor and the baby can lie on it, if it doesn't fit the cot. At the moment, it is approximately 120cm by 80cm. The quilting will reduce that somewhat, so I don't know its finished size at the moment.

There is a LOT of fabric left over. Not sure what I was thinking, what size I thought I might make it. But I will have to come up with something, there is too much to just regard it as an error.
I must have thought I was making a double bed quilt, or that and a single!


I haven't done any quilting for ages, so maybe I will have to see what I can come up with, in yellow and green. Suppose I could put in some other colours for emphasis.

First, I have to actually make the quilt. The top is made but that is all. There is still a bit to do, so I won't worry about all those extra squares at this stage.

There is plenty of hot weather forecast, so I can hid indoors and see what I achieve.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

A New Year

It is the first interesting date for the year (interesting for me): 9/1/19. Pity I can't write one of the nines the other way around and then it would be reversible. 9/1/1P. Sort of.

Anyway, Happy New Year. I haven't got off to a quick start but it is rather hard to do in summer, when you are recovering from Christmas too.

I have been working on a small machine embroiderey/fabric collage piece. It is based on a photo I took of an acorn sprouting.

I played around with it in Photoshop and then found a filter on the internet that put a Picasso filter onto the image.

I did my latest favourite technique and fabric collaged it without using any product, just the sewing machine, no glues, etc. As usual, the fabric shrank a little and there are some wrinkles but I think I will be able to deal with them.

I traced the image, laid out small pieces of fabric and sewed small areas at a time, just to attach them. Once it was all on, I then worked more heavily on specific areas. As with quilting, I started in the middle and worked on the acorn first. I used straight stitch for that.

I didn't like the dark pieces in the background, so went over them with some tulle and other small pieces of fabric. One of the great advantages of this technique is that you can cover up a lot of your mistakes.

One of my helpful critics said that she thought my stem should be greener, possibly the actual nut too. I returned to the original image and saw that she was correct. Now the final piece is greener.

It is sitting on the wall, waiting for me to decide if it is finished or not. That will take a few days. Then will come the mounting and finishing off, not my favourite part.
I allowed quite a bit of room for the shrinkage, so the ragged edges will be lost as I mount it on foam core and try to make it fit the size required by the current challenge from my group - 12" square.