Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Dyeing with Mulberries part 3

The dyeing continues ...

Of course, I had dye left after my last go and couldn't bear to throw it out, especially as some of the sites say you can continue to use it.  So I have soaked some more fabric in the salt solution and dyed it.   I didn't think there would be enough for the silk I decided to use, so I picked some more berries and boiled them up too.  So now I have two lots of silk soaking.  I noticed that the pot with the used dye is looking a bit lighter than the newer dyebath.  So I will have to wait and see what happens.
used dye being reused

new dye bath
Later ... 24 hours later.

I had left the silk in the two pots and rinsed them out today.  There is a noticeable difference in colour intensity but I like them all.
Not only the used and new dye baths caused different colours but the different types of silk took up the dyes differently.  I had some samples of silks and some offcuts from a wedding dress studio that I had been given, so I do not know what all the different silks were exactly, but they are interesting in their variations.

From the new dyebath, I had twisted some of the pieces of silk to get variation in the dying. 

You can see two scarves of the same fabric beside each other, the new dyebath is at the front, much darker.

The two lots of silk together, quite a bit of variation. The lighter pink on the left is part of the stronger dye bath and is slightly overlapping the same fabric from the lighter dyebath.


Michelle said...

Such beautiful colours! We just planted a Mulberry tree in our new garden ... quite a while before we'll be able to harvest though! :)

Mary said...

Yes. Michelle, I am very happy with the colours, I usually work with eucalyptus leaves and bark and get variations of brown, so this is a lovely change. Now all I have to do is decide what to do with all the samples. Some of them are actual scarves but most are pieces of fabric, mostly small.