Monday, February 6, 2012

February ATASDA meeting

On Saturday we had our first meeting for the year, for our ATASDA group.  We had a demonstration of using silk waste (I think it was silk cocoon strippings) to make a silk paper-type fabric.  You can embed grasses, petals, etc in it and then you can make 3D pieces with it also. It was a very easy-looking process but I will hold that thought until I have done some myself.  I will have to get hold of some of the silk cocoon striplings before I can do it though.
Elma, who did the demo, got it from Beautiful Silks.  I am a bit wary of visiting as I cannot leave without spending money I had not intended spending - it is like Aladdin's Cave, full of treasure.
Elma does amazing crochet and has combined the silk 'paper' with her crochet to produce some lovely pieces.  She is taking part in an exhibition at Herring Island, a place I had never heard of.  When she told us I thought I would not go there as I couldn't be bothered driving to the coast but it turns out it is an island in the Yarra.  Who would have thought that the river would be big enough to have an island that can support a gallery!
The exhibition is only on during weekends for the Summer Arts Festival.  You have to catch a ferry to get there.  I was going to visit on Sunday but the weather was so hot and windy that I decided to stay at home.
Next month's meeting will have a demo of using resin, something I am curious about, so I am looking forward to it.  It is on the first Saturday of the month in Hartwell.
Today's date is another interesting one - for me, anyway.  It is 6/2/12.  (6x2=12).

2 comments:

parlance said...

I'll put it on my list of places to visit. Maybe my photography group could have an excursion to the island.

Mary said...

Parlance, it may not be accessible all year. YOu had better go to the website for better details.