Friday, January 27, 2012

Well, that didn't work!

I have had a fairly unsuccessful attempt at doing the Maggie Grey-inspired work.  I made the (not so) simple image using displacement mapping.
I printed one image onto cotton.

I made my lacy cotton fabric using machine sewing and soluble fabric.

After rinsing the soluble fabric away, I stretched it out to close to the proportions I wanted - the first sign that things might not work out how I planned. (You can see it under the printed cotton.)

I reversed my image and printed it out onto t-shirt transfer stuff (note: I didn't really think about the fact that it was a plastic sheet!).

I ironed my t-shirt image onto the lacy fabric.  It was a complete image on plastic, with my lacy fabric on the back. Definitely not what I had envisaged.

The instructions said to use Glad Bake, which I confused with baking paper.  Once again, I have ironed paper onto my work and it didn't want to come off.

I eventually pulled the lacy cotton away and have some slightly dirty cotton - NOT the effect I was after.

I also have a piece of paper with a distressed image on it.  Not sure what to do with that, I don't think I will throw it away just yet.  Maybe I can use it with the embellishing machine - if the plastic won't be too bothered by that.  That idea is for another day.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.  I will have to think about what I can do with the image that DID work, the one that is printed onto the cotton.

No comments: