It started with me deciding to play with some tyvek that I had, so I tried to remember what we did at the workshop with Neroli Henderson a few weeks ago. I am glad that I haven't left it too long, as I often do. I could actually remember most of what she told us. And I cheated a little and looked it up in Hot Textiles by Kim Thittichai.
I painted the tyvek on both sides with Lumiere paint. Then I ironed them all to see what would happen.
|One piece had some small slits.|
|Another had some Angelina Fibre.|
|One was was only painted.|
|One was sewn by machine before heating.|
I had an old roll of Vleisofix that had started coming off the backing paper. I thought that I could use this and it wouldn't be too much of a waste if it didn't work. Old dye, old bonding web.
I painted several pieces and allowed them to dry. The book said it would take ages, so I took the dog for her daily walk. I took some more pictures of bark - I may have the world's best collection of bark pictures. Perhaps I will post some of them later.
When I got home I was all excited about trying this technique. I have some small pieces of kunin felt and the web just had to be ironed on and then I could use the heat gun to distress it all. I carefully laid the sandwich paper over it all and ironed away.
The paper was firmly stuck to the felt!! Obviously, we use the paper as a last protection, not the first. I might have to invest in some teflon sheeting to do this. I soaked the felt in water and managed to scrape off the paper. The dye works. The felt is now multicoloured.
I will have to try this another time.
Then I will have to decide what I am going to use these new techniques for, how I will use the new fabrics that I make. If I make any that I like.