Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Winter Delights exhibition

The Alcove Art Shop is having its Winter Delights exhibition in a couple of weeks.

I have been trying to think of what to make that might sell - it is a sale/exhibition.  There will be much more work available for sale than is usually in the shop, and there is a great variety of techniques.

I find that I like to play around with ideas and rarely make things that I want to sell.  They are either not suitable for a shop, not well enough made or, if they are, I don't want to part with them! So I will have to play around a bit more and see if I can come up with something that I think is good enough to sell and that someone might actually want to buy.

Maybe I need to stop trying all different techniques and actually concentrate on one.  Then I would get more skilled at it AND I might make enough to sell.  But where would be the fun in that?

Most of the artists who put work in have other outlets and are professional or semi-professional artists.  It is just so hard to make a living as an artist, especially in the art/craft area, that they often have other jobs as well. But the standard of work is high.

4 comments:

Gina E. said...

Mary, that's a hard one. I only make the projects I want for me, not for anyone else. But I have given some of them away to friends and family who coveted them, and in doing so I felt I'd given away a piece of myself. Friends tell me I should sell my completed works at a craft market because most of what I do is 'cute' and would sell easily. But I don't want to sell them, I want to keep them. And I have so many projects on my wish list, I just don't have time to make stuff merely to sell!

Mary said...

Gina, I think you are right, I shouldn't worry about trying to sell it. I should just enjoy myself making what I like. Actually, it is more like trying out ideas and seeing how they might work but then not having anything to actually use them for, so it is the learning that is appealing to me. But it would be nice if the work could pay for itself. And it does give a good feeling when you think someone liked your work enough to pay for it!

Gina E. said...

Well there is that aspect to it! Of course we would all like to earn a living from doing what we enjoy, and it is flattering when people admire our work. Like you, I find enjoyment in learning new processes, even if they end up in a box of odds and sods! That's why I was interested in a previous post here that I commented on - 'Travellers blanket'? I should go back and have another look to remind myself ;-

Mary said...

Gina, I went back to the post you referred to (Coping with the Heat). Yes, I think it is good to keep experimenting even if you do end up with lots of little bits of stuff.
You reminded me that I haven't done my traveller's blanket for ages, I had it out the other day but didn't do any, just felt guilty. But this cooler weather does make me more sedentary, so maybe I'll get inspired.