Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Screen printing on paper

Last Friday, instead of our usual class about Photoshop and Illustrator, we had a class in which we learnt to apply some of our ideas.  We are studying using the computer, and the above mentioned programs, to enhance screen printing on paper and hard surfaces.  I am really a ring-in for this class as I am not enrolled in the screen print stream of the textile course I am in.  A friend and I were allowed to enrol to learn the programs better, so I feel lucky to be in the class.
The teacher of screen print for paper and hard surfaces, Rose Elizabeth, very kindly walked us through some of the processes.  We had fun!!
We played with torn paper, talc powder and mixing colours on paper.

As I didn't really know what I wanted to do, I used pigment that had been left by other students.  It saved having to mix my own colours.  As the screen was used again and again, the colours mixed and changed.  Part of the fun was not knowing what was going to happen.



You could add colours as you went, so the intensity could be changed.  Now all I have to do is decide what I might use the paper for.  I think I would like to do this class next year if I am able.

No comments: