We have a fossil lying around in the house, of which I have taken photos.
I have LOTS of silk, scrim and other bits and pieces that I have dyed, mostly using eucalyptus leaves and bark.
|Not quite the same studio as in the magazine article.|
I played around with this idea, a little bit, a few weeks ago, for one of our machine embroidery group meetings at the Embroiderers Guild of Victoria.
I made one piece too big for the task. It has been hanging around on my pinboard, looking interesting but not particularly useful.
Then I thought … I wonder what would happen if I did several of these. Can I layer them to look like layers of fossils.
|Here it is with another couple of trials.|
After playing around with the idea, I keep changing how I am doing it. The changes are not huge, just trying to work out a better way to make the bits.
I made a couple more pieces similar to the first one - of course I couldn't find any more scrim that colour. So now the pieces are of varying colours.