Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Fabric collage again

I have been playing around with fabric collage again.
As I was preparing to demonstrate at the Embroiderers Guild last week, and as I am in an online group that is having a challenge piece due in June, I decided to combine the two events.
The theme of the online group is Gondwana. This is a huge topic! Gondwana stretches from the southern hemisphere to the northern. It is often associated with Australia as we were part of Gondwana but it is much bigger than that.
Still, I live in Australia and have lots of photos of local landforms. So I decided to try to do something relating to geology.
I was in a medical waiting room recently and came across an Australian Geographic magazine that had wonderful photos of Prunululu. So I have decided to have a go at something based on this.

I also found interesting images at 123RF.

As it was part of my demo, I thought I would document the process. I have done some fabric collage recently and have enjoyed it.
This time, I thought I would use wadding in the middle, rather than doing it on adhesive interfacing. I also thought I would put on a backing fabric as I find that the wadding does fluff up the inner workings of the sewing machine if it is the back layer.

The image is rather intricate, so I put a copy of it under the top layer of fabric. I put Vliesofix on the top layer so that the pieces could be ironed on. But the pieces turned out to be tiny and they kept moving around before I had a chance to iron them on.

Then I remembered a product that I had used once before. It is sticky on one side. I ironed it onto the Vliesofix and then the sticky side was up, ready to hold all my little scraps. The whole thing is very well adhered!

I could still vaguely see my outlines under the several layers of fabric and product.

I have spent hours laying it all out. Some of the pieces are very small.

When I measured the piece, to ensure it will fit the challenge, I realised it wasn't high enough. Disaster.
So I decided to make the mountains bigger, higher in the sky. I also made the bottom a bit bigger in case I need to cut some off.

I redrew my image onto Solvy, with the idea of using it to assist me when I come to sew. I am not convinced this is a good idea and may not use it for that. But it was helpful with the laying out of fabric.
It looks like one mountain, rather than a series but I think I can live with that. I found, as I was working on the piece, that the initial image became much more distant from the final laying out of the fabric pieces. It is my inspiration but I have moved away from it to some extent.
The Solvy is over the image, the lines are very hard to see and don't line up all that well with how I have laid out the fabric. Oh well. I was thinking that it would be a nuisance to have to wash if off, so now I won't use it after all. 

No comments: