I had diligently gone through my lesson notes over the last couple f weeks and finished off bits and pieces.
Then I noticed that we had had an exercise based on a fish design that I had not done. I wasn't all that worried about it, I had done pretty much everything else and didn't think it would matter. But I had got myself all organised earlier in the week, so decided to have a go anyway.
I recently bought a gorgeous scarf from Stonehouse, in Warrandyte. It is by Michelle Mischkulnig.
I thought I would have a go at a small sample using what I could see of her technique - using supplies that I had to hand.
First I found a small silk hankie (I think that is what it is called). I was already dyed blue, so that seemed appropriate for a fish image. I teased out a couple of layers of silk and then placed a piece of sari silk that I also had. As the lesson was also about warm and cool colours, I chose a piece of sari silk that I thought would suit.
I laid out the sari silk on one layer of silk the covered it with another. Then I sandwiched this between a piece of soluble fabric and solve (transparent soluble film). I didn't bother to pin it as it was a small piece.
I hooped it up and sewed a pattern all the way across, based on a wave - also based on a handwriting fluency patters of joining the letter c.
The I did a mildly wavy line in the 90 degree direction, to hold the whole piece together.
I then did some continuous patterning over the sari silk to give the piece a bit more texture.
I used up some spare thread I had on bobbins, making the top and bottom colours different.
After dissolving the soluble fabric and film, I laid it out to dry, no stretching necessary.
It is a flimsy piece, not particularly useful or beautiful, but I have had a go at the technique and think that I could work a lot more with it and produce something that I liked.
And now I have done all the exercises for the course - I hope.