I had a book of furniture fabric samples that I got years ago and I took a couple of pieces out to use in the support layers of Kay Kahn's technique.. I also had some felt from several years ago -no wonder I find it hard to throw things out!! I sewed them together, as we had been shown in the workshop. The size was determined by the sample pieces of fabric which were the same width as the newspaper page - very convenient. They were roughly square, so that is the shape I have ended up with.
|Two layers of commercial felt sandwiched between two layers of furniture fabric.|
|The paper layer ready to be sewn on.|
So I cut my paper 'fabric' to size and sewed it onto the four-layered background. The paper layers stood up to the sewing, I had wondered if it would cause perforations that might weaken it but so far so good.