Thursday, August 29, 2013

Teaching wet felting to grade 3 and 4 students - part 3

I am remembering real teaching - how the best laid plans go awry.  Things to be dealt with: what to do with the few children who have finished the felting process; how to restart the felting process with the others, what to do with them when their work is felted as I think (hope!) that will happen fairly quickly; how to start off the children who have only done the laying out - yes, there are still some at that stage.
The plan had been to sew onto the felt, to emphasise the edges of the shapes and add highlights.  But they won't be able to do that if the felt is still damp, so we will have to do something else. Maybe I can revisit how I made felt beads and we can do that, then do the sewing the following week.  Or we might make some little 3D shapes, I'll have to experiment this week.  Thank goodness I am only doing it once a week and have time to remember how to do things - and how to manage a classroom.  I am enjoying it immensely but I am also getting a much greater appreciation of how hard it is for art teachers, so little time between one class and the next arriving, room needed to store works in progress, planning for students who finish early (or very slowly) and what they can do in such a limited space.

Yet another practice of felt balls and the cord.

No comments: