My nephew's baby girl was born last November. I had a quilt top finished by her birth day but decided that the colours weren't working well. So I unpicked it and made new sashings. Unfortunately, I ran out of the fabric I was using for the sashing - it was one of the Fossil Fern patterns that is no longer printed. I pulled it out again and decided that the seams were getting a bit ragged.
A totally new design was called for. I found a design I like in a Sensational Quilts, an Express Publications magazine/book. The actual design was called Groom's Nine-Patch, by Trudy Brodie (these are some links I found when I searched for her name, I assume they are the same person). I used the design from one book (choosing different colours) but the measurements from another. The measurements were in metric - most unusual for patchwork!! The quilt ended up being much bigger than a cot quilt, because I was mixing the measurements a bit, but I decided not to worry, it can be laid on the floor and she can crawl around on it.
I finally delivered it last weekend. Only 4 months late.
It is a while since I have done straight quilting (apart from the one I did for the another great-neice born in February, one of my own design). I found that I actually enjoyed the process.
It has been interesting, choosing fabrics for the quilts, in light of the textile designing we have done over the last year or so. I would like to design some more of my own fabrics and print them - yet another process to try at home. More equipment and space needed. Hmmm, maybe I'll wait and see where my enthusiasms take me this year first.