Thursday, October 1, 2009

More natural dyeing with eucalyptus bark


I have done some more experimenting with the bark of the lemon scented eucalpytus that grows next door. This time I broke the bark into small pieces and soaked them for 24 hours.

I brought it to the boil and simmered it for an hour. When I drained the liquid out I had quite a dark dye bath.

Because I was using some small pieces of wool, I allowed it to cool before putting in the wetted wool and silk. Then I brought it back to the boil and simmered it for 30 minutes. As eucalyptus is a substantive dye, I did not put in any mordant in the first experiment.


Here are some pictures of the silk sliver and the wool batting, usually used for quilting. The colour was not strong but was pretty.

2 comments:

parlance said...

Maybe you could experiment with dyeing dog hair.

Mary said...

I'll have to give this some thought. I suppose I could use textile medium to try making it stick together, or I could learn how to spin and include it. Make allergenic fabric.