Thursday, October 1, 2009

Lemon Scented Eucalyptus Bark and mordants

Having played with the bark I decided to see what putting in mordants would do. I have to be honest here, I am not good at being precise, so I have no amounts to record. I just filled a pot with bark and covered it with water, then added a small plastic teaspoon of the sulphates. This first picture is of the lemon scented bark, after being soaked for 24 hours, boiled for an hour, then silk, silk sliver and silk thread being put into the pot and simmered for 30 minutes. I wrapped the silk sliver in the thread and then enclosed it in muslin, which is also included in the pictures. It seems to have dyed also. I was surprised as I did not expect cotton to take the dye so well.

This second picture is of the silk pieces (and the cotton) with a copper sulphate added. The difference in colour was subtle, it was slightly greener.

This next picture is of the dye bath with ferrous sulphate added. This was the same dye that I did the cold dyeing with, the second lot of dye from the bark. The result was much darker, almost silvery.

No comments: