Saturday, November 12, 2022

Reigniting an interest in natural dyeing.

Well, I have mordanted some silk with alum. I found several links, here too,  that said similar things - to heat the silk with water and put in some mordant. I used about 20% alum in relation to the weight of the silk. 

I brought it to the boil and let it simmer for an hour, or thereabouts. I am going to leave it in the pot for a day or so. I will let the flower bloom a little longer, then look up how to prepare if for the dyeing. I think I could take it out of the mordant but it is best used damp, so I will leave it there for the time being. 

As you can tell, I am not being very specific or scientific about all this. 

I also used some pieces of silk that I have had for years. Some of them ares strips, some are actual scarves. As they are all different types of silk, I am expecting different results. Just hoping that they take some colour!!





Not sure what I will use the pieces of fabric for, just want to reignite my interest in natural dyeing. And the flowers that are currently available. 

The mulberries are fruiting too - will have to give that some thought. 

Now to be patient - sort of - and wait. 

No comments: