Saturday, November 26, 2022

Artist's Date

 I have been doing the Artist's Way journal thing for years now - so long that I don't think I do it how it was envisaged. But ... one of the things was to give yourself an Artist's Date each week. I have been thinking I have not been doing that - but then I realised that, even if I don't do it every week, I am doing it more frequently than I had realised. 

This week, I have visited the State Library and seen an exhibition of artwork by the Gould's, of bird painting fame; of Shaun Tan, of his picture book fame (amongst other things) and the absolutely amazing exhibition of the night sky in the Handmade Universe exhibition - you have to see it!!

Can you believe this is knitted??
I learnt a little about the knitting machine when I did the RMIT textile course (quite a while ago now!). But the artist not only used the machine, she devised a computer code that knitted it for her. Amazing!!
I also had the chance to use a little iPad thing that allowed me to choose different constellations and they lit up!! 
And there was a huge piece that showed the Indigenous People's version of the sky and the creation legends. 

I loved it all, and the glorious building, the various exhibitions, the whole atmosphere. 

Then, I went to to Open Studios in Alphington today. I only went to the Alphington Community Centre, Anne Warren's open studio and Cetta Pilati. It was enough for one day - especially as the weather has got warmer. I would probably not think it was that warm for this time of year in other times, but we have had such cold weather recently that it seemed hot today. And the allergy alert was high. 

So I don't need to feel as if I am failing in my Artist's Date aspect of life. 

I was also very excited to be told that one of my pieces in the Community Centre was sold on opening night. Woo hoo. I can't find an image of it but I did blog about it once

No comments: