I have been trying to design my own blackwork piece for an upcoming Emboriderers' Guild exhibition. I might not get anything finished for it but at least it gives me something to focus on for the moment.
As I was browsing the internet, I came across a Pintangle site (Friday Freebies, I'll have to read more of that). It had a further link to yet another site (String-or-Nothing) where the owner has made up some designs and provided them free. What a wonderful resource.
I am sticking to simple designs at present. This is partly because I am just a beginner with blackwork and don't want to make it too hard for myself. It is also because I am working on a fairly small design and can't afford to have any intricate designs because I don't think they will fit properly in the space.
I am continuing on with an earlier idea but in a different format. My idea is to produce a stained glass window design in blackwork. It may come to nothing but it is something to be thinking about.
I spent quite a while on one part yesterday and then noticed that I had miscounted by one thread and had to pull out half of it. Luckily, I have learnt patience through my tapestry weaving, where you pull work out all the time, so I wasn't too annoyed with myself. Mind you, I haven't touched it since.
I am not sure if I should have sewn in the outline of the design or not, so decided to do the patterns first, then decide. Taking photos of your work also lets you see mistakes rather more clearly (not necessarily what I was hoping for!). I will keep plugging along and see what develops.