So I decided to do the simple silk painting method - that way I wouldn't have to dig out all the old frames, etc. I dampened the silk and laid it out on plastic, slightly crumpled. Then I used the undiluted dye to drip onto the silk. I love watching the way it runs and forms its own patterns.
I have since remembered that using undiluted dye is wasteful as the silk does not hold it all. Oh well, I will be able to see what happens when I wash it. I expect a lot of dye will run out.
Of course, I might not be able to tell as I am improvising how to steam it. The dyes need to be steam set and I can't be bothered with buying a steamer (we only have one for food and I am not going to use that) and all the paper and stuff that needs to be used with it. I am only experimenting after all, to see if the old dyes will work.
So I have bundled it all up into more plastic, closed the ends and left it rolled up in the sun (which is appearing intermittently today). Heat batching - I hope it works.
Hmm, this is not very scientific: I won't know if it didn't work because the dyes were old or because I didn't steam it properly.
|The small table is holding it down as it is windy.|
The weather seems to be changing so I might go out and retrieve it soon, now that it is not looking like being sunny again.