Friday, September 11, 2020

Warmer Weather

 As I was sitting in the lovely sunshine, working diligently on my latest blackwork piece (an actual piece, not a sampler) I noticed some movement outside the window. 

Instant reaction was to be very alert. What is that??







Then I saw the legs - phew. 



Around here we have notices in the parks that warn that the snake season is from October to March but we have noticed over recent years that they are out and about from September to April these days. I think I will not need to be as vigilant these days since our dog has died. But our exercise regime is currently to be out of the house for an hour a day, no more than 5km from home, so we are going to lots of parks that I probably wouldn't go to without Penny. There are so many people out in the parks that the snakes are probably hiding a lot more - I hope so. 

Penny died at the beginning of this pandemic, it is her 6 month anniversary. Life has changed drastically. We still miss her but we are grateful that she hasn't been old and ill during this difficult period. 

She would have been barking madly at the lizard today. She would have been keeping the rats out of our garden too. Rumour has it that the rats have migrated from the city to the suburbs, looking for cafes but are finding our veggie gardens instead. Perhaps our next dog, if we ever get one, will have to be a terrier. 


No comments: