Thursday, September 10, 2020

Thank goodness for the internet.

 Thank goodness for generous people who show you how to do things too. 

I have spent HOURS trying to do a mitred corner for a sample for the Blackwork course I am doing. We were given notes, we had to practise using paper but I just could not get my head around it today (and yesterday!). 

I eventually found a good link that made it clearer with images. If we were in normal times I would have attended classes and been shown in person. But I have only had notes so far. So the internet has been a Godsend. 

However, I have tried it again, using paper, and am still a bit bamboozled. Sometimes I can do it, sometimes I can't. 

So I think that, if given the choice, I will NEVER do a mitred corner for blackwork. 


Our teacher finally called me and talked me through her process. Success: I have the corner done but as I didn't want to waste fabric if I got it wrong again, I didn't have a big enough piece to do all corners. However, I did try using the sewing machine zigzag stitch on the edge instead of hand sewing it. I think I would use a less regular stitch if I did it again so that the sewing isn't all along one thread which might pull off too easily. 

And I used the sample to try the hemstitch, one direction with the thread pulled out and one without. This really is a sampler!



No comments: