Sunday, September 20, 2020

Experimenting with colouring linen for blackwork embroidery

Our final lesson for the blackwork course I am doing is about colouring the fabric and then doing some embroidery on it. We were asked to colour some calico but I haven't really understood why, unless the teacher thinks that most of the participants will not have coloured fabric before. 

It was also suggested that we use acrylic paint. But I have found that when I use that the fabric handles quite differently, quite stiffly. 

I have decided to play with the colouring of fabric a bit differently. So far, I have used Inktense blocks, the small ones, that look like sticks, and ink.  It has been interesting to find information about using them on fabric. Usually, the articles are about using Inktense pencils and blocks for quilting. We use even weave linen for blackwork. Here is one I found that is about dyeing the fabric for cross-stitch. As I found no information about that, I have decided that linen is a plant-based fabric, not all that different from cotton, so will just assume it is in the same category. 

Today I played with small bits of fabric. I used some that was not washed, presumably has size on it, and some that I washed. Then I tried the Inktense blocks with dry fabric, dampened fabric and dampened blocks. They gave different results. I think the best way to go will be with the dampened fabric because there is less smearing of colour - which will be less likely to come off on the embroidery threads, I hope. 





I have also tried some inks on the fabric, also dampened and not. I don't know if the inks will be permanent but I will heat set them when they are dry. Some sites have recommended leaving the dyes and inks for 72 hours, so I won't iron them till then. Then I may wash them to see if the colour stays. I have only done small fragments of fabric - partly because I don't have a lot of blackwork suitable fabrics and partly because it is relatively expensive and hard to get at the moment with lockdown still in force. Therefore it is possible that I won't bother with the rinsing. I am only playing around with colouring fabric, not with coming up with something that will be permanent and for sale. 


This one is inks on the fabric, resting on a towel that has been used before. Maybe it will be useful in the future, given its absorbance of colours. 

I don't quite know what I am trying to achieve - in terms of a sample. So I will play around, find out some things and then see if I can come up with a piece of fabric that will inspire me to do some interesting embroidery. 

No comments: