I came up with a new design and decided to try some of the techniques using the feet of the sewing machine. I hadn't used most of them before, so it is all new learning. All good. Except for the result!
I stencilled my rose, did some textured stems with twin needles, stamped some buds.
The buds looked too small, so I added to them with some knitted yarn I had.
The stem was too dark, so I slit it between the twin needles to let the paler base fabric show through.
The rose was too dark, so I sewed over it with some of the patterned stitches.
Still too dark. Time to try the textured stitches on the rose. I sewed over the shapes of the stencil, not in a particular direction. This meant that it didn't pull in like the previous sample did. But it also meant that the fabric was pulled in in a variety of directions, causing rippling.
I did use a hoop but that is all. Next time, and there will be a next time, I will try using a stabiliser on the back, see if that helps, or I could use batting. Because it pulled in less, it is much bigger than I anticipated. I had drawn the design with quite a lot of allowance for the pulling in and it didn't do that. Another lesson learnt.
Maybe I could do some quilting, see if I can stretch the fabric and sew it so that the distortion is less obvious. Or I could just call it a sample and learn from it.
Even though I said there will be a next time, I think I will adapt the design a bit too, see if I can make it more pleasing. But I will definitely work the techniques with different backings. Actually, Karen Richards, the teacher, also suggested that I try different weight fabrics. I will give that a go too.