Saturday, April 7, 2012

Stained Glass Window Effect

I have been playing around with some ideas for a design based on stained glass windows.

As I wanted it to be translucent, like stained glass windows, I used polyester organza.  I layered the pieces and pinned them to a piece of dissolvable fabric on which I had drawn the design.

I then free motion sewed the outline and cut away the layers.  That wasn't quite as easy as it sounded, the layers were hard to see at times and I did nick a couple of layers that I had not meant to cut through.  I also decided to do some lines on one part but forgot to do the cutting away before I sewed, so there is a colour in there that doesn't see the light of day.  Oh well, that is the advantage of doing a small test piece.

I didn't do it in a hoop and I found that it shrank by about a centimetre.
Here it is, in front of a window so you can see how translucent it is.
The plan had been for it to be 15cm x 15cm, so I left the area around the sewing to make it closer to the size I had wanted. It is not very obvious in this image but there are a lot of fibres waving around, the fraying of the polyester.  I quite like the effect so am not going to do anything about it at the moment, especially as it is just a sample.

No comments: