Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Playing around again

 I have no big ideas going at the moment. 

I am in a group that is going to do postcards to send to each member. I don't have much of a theme going so decided to just try some ideas.

I used the Liquid Radiance paints to colour some samples of drape fabric. I have no idea where I got the book of fabric samples but it has turned out to be useful at the moment. 

I used the white fabrics this time and washed them before use. Then I only used the three primary colours and let them run into each other and make multiple colours. 

One piece of fabric was much darker on one side than the other. 

                                     

This made me think of the Notan positive and negative idea that I tried previously

I didn't want to do trees this time, the colours didn't seem to suggest trees to me. I have a book of Japanese Optical Illusions and Geometric designs, so I traced one and then cut out the fabric using that. I put one lot of cutouts onto a piece of the same fabric, other side up though, to give the contrast in brightness. 

I used the base fabric I had cut the shapes out of to place onto yet another piece. 

I sewed them up using variegated fabric. I couldn't actually decide on what colour would work best, the variegated was there, to hand. Decision made. 


If I have to make an artist statement, perhaps I can say something about the shapes reminding me of the ever-present images of the covid virus! But that wasn't really the inspiration, I just like the shape. 


No comments: