Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Using Shiva Oil Sticks on Linen

I finished my piece using my faulty design and inattention. 

I just decided it was finished - 'based on' the original drawing on graph paper. 

Then I got out the small piece of linen I had drawn on using Shiva Oil Paint Sticks. The instructions said to draw on the fabric and then leave it for 4 or 5 days to set. Having Corona virus inertia, that was easy. I actually left it for 6 days. When I picked it up, I rubbed it on some white paper and got a faint smudge on the paper where some of the oil rubbed off. 

Then I heat set it, with the iron, hand washed it and let it dry.  It didn't rub off anymore. And I noticed that the little bits of thickish substance were no longer there. 

Today I decided to try some embroidery on it. It was harder than I had anticipated. I sewed my design at least four times, possibly five. I found that I had a bit of trouble seeing the fabric clearly enough to be perfectly accurate. Eventually, I noticed that the back of the fabric is not very coloured at all, so I could sew from the back.

The reason I had to pull it out was not to do with the fabric being coloured, it was that I chose a design that I couldn't get my head around. I really need to stick to the easier patterns. 


What I have discovered though, is that the paint stick stayed on the fabric throughout the drama. You could see where I had pulled it out on the back but the front didn't show it up at all. 


I could only find links to the produce through various stores. Here is one.

No comments: