Thursday, October 15, 2020

Another good date - and lots of sorting

 Well, I know what I might be doing for the next year, or until the Covid19 virus lockdowns ease. 

I will be sorting!!

I started with the threads and yarns, then I moved on to the threads that are specifically for hand embroidery. All beautifully colour co-ordinated. I seem to have a lot of autumn colours, especially green!! Considering that I don't do that much hand embroidery, I do have a lot of thread. Some of is years and years old!! 

Now I am moving on to the shelves that have old books, street directories, bits of painted and coloured paper. I have them for those brief moments that collage takes my fancy. It isn't that often but it is another way of coming up with designs. So I will move them out of my room, into a box, then go through them at another time. By then, I might know if I will ever use them again. 

Mind you, that 'other room' is starting to look a bit daunting. 

I could sit down and go through some of them now but that would distract me from the job I am currently working on, which is just to move things and see what is there. I might even (gasp) throw some stuff out. 

I am working on the 2 minute rule - I think I 'should' do some cleaning up so I will give it 2 minutes. Then, if I feel like it, I might go a little longer. Sometimes I just do the two minutes, sometimes 2 hours. Or more. 

This is not a quick fix, it is a way of making it doable. And the other advantage is that I get to see things that I found interesting in the past and, maybe, get inspired to try again. That has been especially true of the yarns, threads and ribbons. 

I have a box of dried leaves and plants that I picked up earlier in the year, when I was enthusiastically embracing the Tara Axford workshop (online). I am getting some glimmerings of interest again and am glad that I have kept them. The ones that don't crumble when I pick them up could be new inspiration. But I do have to find a better way and place to keep them. 



The other good thing about today? I know what day it is! I totally thought it was Tuesday yesterday. But today is Thursday - 15/10/20.

No comments: