Friday, January 19, 2018

Summer

It was hot today and yesterday, and overnight, which seems to be worse as you don't sleep as well, making it harder to cope with the heat.

It was forecast to be very hot today so I got out all the old fabric that I did in my textile course. It has very ordinary (as in ugly) printing on it. I also found that my fitted sheet has a hole in it, so that got used too. I took all the fabric out and put it on the two camellias that we have had for years. They tend to burn in the very hot sun (scroll down for the poor, burnt camellias from the past).



I am not sure what the forecast is, so will probably take them off again tomorrow. I do know that it was forecast to drop 10°C , which means it might go from 42° to 32°, which won't be all that cool.
(I have just looked up how to get the degrees symbol on the keyboard - Mac: option, shift 8).

It being too hot to do much, I decided to do another small image for the Unfinished Business ... Finished exhibition.
I found an old photo of the backbeach at Rye,


printed it out A4 and did a rough estimation of the areas of colour onto some adhesive interfacing. I cut some small pieces of the donated blue fabric as my base.


Then I got out some tulle, some of the DMC threads that had been donated by a different person, and some old bits of novelty knitting yarn.
In the course of things, I came across some old dyed silk rods which. I discovered, pull apart quite easily and give nice texture.


I had a picture frame that I had rescued just two weeks ago from the scrap-heap and have cut the embroidery to fit.
All in all, not a bad day, despite the heat. You might as well be doing something, rather than sitting around feeling hot.

No comments: