Thursday, September 14, 2017

Taking it a little bit further

Having done the very small curved piecing sample, I decided that I would try some more experimenting.
I also said that I would make a third piece for the upcoming Ebb and Flow exhibition. As there isn't all that much time left, I thought I would use the technique to make something ebbing or flowing.

I had a frame that I bought from Ikea, so that was my standard size. Not inspired by the actual work, just something to fit the frame. As good an inspiration as any at this stage.

The frame comes with a mount board that is quite wide.
At first, I thought to use the whole size of the frame and not have any mount board or to make a shallower one.

I chose some fabrics and laid them out in the colour sequence I thought I would use.

Then I sewed a piece that would fit in the frame.

However, I wasn't that thrilled with the design, so I took a couple of photos to help me decide if it would be better if I cropped the piece to fit the smaller space.





After much to-ing and fro-ing, I chose to do the smaller size.
It still didn't speak to me much. I turned to my favourite container of threads and yarns and got out my silk ropes - not sure what they were originally used for, I got them at some trade show or other. They have been wonderful to use.

It is very hard to photograph something once it is behind glass (or perspex in this case).


The piece is now framed and ready to take to the exhibition.


No comments: