Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Inspired by ... Ainslie Roberts

Our latest artist to be inspired by was Ainslie Roberts.
I remember several of his books about Aboriginal legends, illustrated by him. I used them at school years ago.

I found some images online but didn't really want to use most of them, they were too distinctive and I didn't think I would be able to make the inspirations 'mine'. Then I came across a couple of images that appealed to me more. Birth of the Opal.

I used the colours as my inspiration, rather than trying to replicate the image.


I was also inspired by finding a video online that shows how to do curved piecing which has always been a challenge for me.
I am intrigued by the work of Ann Brauer and thought I would start small-time, trying to work out how she might do her work.
I haven't got very far with it but I did manage to combine the A5 challenge for the Machine Embroidery group and trying out the basic technique.


No comments: