Undaunted, I then tried ironing it, hoping that it might heat set. Same result.
But I decided if I made it into a wall hanging that would never be washed, it might not matter. I made a small dragonfly, while practising the new technique for the free motion sewing I was doing with Meredith Woolnough.
I have mounted it onto the interfacing background, which has been ironed on to the left-over piece of foam core board. It doesn't look too bad, now I just have to leave it in a sunny spot and see if it fades. At least that shouldn't happen as quickly as the water washed it away. However, I suspect it won't be colourfast either.
I decided to mount the dragonfly image anyway, it would be good practice in mounting with pins, covering them with bugle beads and bending the backs of the pins down - not an easy thing to do.
|Taken with flash, shadows make it look out of focus.|
|Taken in daylight, dim day, not great shadows.|
I did look up information about the inks in our printer. It seems as if they may be pigment but I am suspicious as the box does not have the information on it, so I will have to investigate this further. There are too many variables at this stage for me to say why the idea didn't work, I just know that it didn't.
More work needs to be done on various aspects of this idea, but don't hold your breath waiting for me to do it soon. I think I will try the reliable pre-prepared fabrics you can buy, at least I know that they work.