As part of our discussion in class, we talked about various ways of getting images onto fabric. I have played with this idea before (here and here) but have never come up with one that I think is wonderful. It was fun to do and I learnt about the program and the process but I haven't had a good idea for its use yet.
In desperation, I went through some old files and came across some playing I did with Photoshop. I have quite a lot (QUITE a lot) of photos of Penny swimming in the Yarra.
I took one of these, at some stage, and played around with getting a textured background image. I can't quite remember which picture I used but it will have been very similar to this one.
I cropped part of the water and then played around with colour.
|The middle one is from the actual photo, then I played with hue and saturation.|
I can't remember where I saw this idea (if I didn't misread or imagine it) but I tried it today.
I took another image I had, enlarged it quite a bit and played with hue until I got it to a bluish colour. It turned out quite pixilated but I decided I didn't mind the effect and went ahead and made it A4 sized.
|It is not quite as pale as the photo makes it look but it is paler than on the computer.|
I have an image. I don't know how colourfast it will be. I am leaving it to dry for 24 hours and then might take a piece and see if it is washable. Not that I intend using it as a wearable or quilt piece, it is just for experimenting with at this stage.
The interfacing is heat adhesive on one side, so I hope the heat sets the print as well. I haven't looked to see if our cartridges are pigment based, which are the more recommended sort, so it might all be just a waste of time. I suppose I will find out soon.
I am not going to fuss about the text at this stage, it is stopping me from playing as I can't think of anything exciting to include.