Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Different experimentation

My Machine Embroidery group, at the EGV, has some themes for this year that are, hopefully, going to inspire us. 

Our first meeting was last weekend, with the theme Dyeing. I don't think anyone did any dyeing specifically for the day but there were a lot of past samples. I took along a cushion I did years ago. I made a log cabin pattern using different white fabrics, some with designs on them. 

I looked back through this blog and found it - 2013! White fabric image here.

I sewed some free motion designs on it also, in white cotton. Then I put the piece, and the back of the cushion, into a dyepot. The different whites took the colour differently and some of the designs on the fabrics didn't dye at all. Images here and here.

Actually, that is not why I am posting today! As this is my visual diary (searchable!!) I am wanting to note what I have done in preparation for next month's meeting. It is using long stitch on the machine. No-one has tried it and we may not really know what it is! I didn't let that stop me. I found a piece of old calico that I was about to throw out. It was used to try a screen print that I made in my textile and design course - it is probably from about 2009, or thereabouts. I was feeling tired and couldn't be bothered finding a proper piece to work on, mainly because I was not expecting great results and didn't even have an image in mind. 

So ... I used Guterman sewing thread top and bottom. I took the feed-dogs down, set the tension low and had a go! At first I used the pedal but found that I had a lot of trouble going slowly and keeping the same speed. My Husqvarna has a stop and go button which I rarely use (it is hard to take the hand off to push the stop button quickly!). Today I put the speed at its lowest and moved the hoop as fast as I could. Not great results but it was interesting - and now I know that I can probably do it if I find a need or image that calls for it. 


I even tried zigzag - but I was using a patchwork foot that has a little bar not all the way across and sometimes the thread got caught on it. I'll use a closed foot if I try it again. And I'l have to work out how to stop the fabric wrinkling so much. I did have it in a hoop with fabric wrapped around one part of the hoop but it wasn't enough - or I need to practise more. 



No comments: