Saturday, August 21, 2021

Trying to stay positive

 21/8/21 - makes me post. Something needs to motivate me. 

We are back in lockdown. I know that I am not that burdened by it, compared to many other people, but I still feel exhausted. 

To help me keep interested in things, I am doing a Cas Holmes online workshop, through Fibre Arts Take Two. I attended a workshop, in person, a few years ago and really enjoyed it. So I thought I would give this one a go. 

So far, we have focussed on drawing, not a favourite thing of mine. But I have made a little sketchbook, using papers I have left over from Tara Axford's online course that I did last year (also Fibre Arts Take Two). Cas suggested that we use a variety of sketchbooks, some commercially made, some made by us. 

I have made a simple one so far, just some used photocopy paper that I did some gelli plate printing on, folded in half and sewn into a little book. It is to be my daily drawing sketchbook, along with some of the others that I have purchased. 

As we are not supposed to venture far from home, I have decided to start with very local sights - from the front and back yard. 

The first emphasis is on doing a continuous line drawing, probably because we will eventually move onto using the sewing machine for the drawing and it has to be continuous line, unless you are willing to be very picky. 

Shadows that can be inspiration for drawing shapes. 
Tried a white pen, based on some cockatoo feathers I found last year. Will almost be time to get them again soon, when the babies start growing their adult feathers.
Used a pencil on the left, a black pen on the painted surface as it was relatively dark.
Line drawing using the blank side of the paper and another piece that has paint on it. The paint felt good with the pencil 


Random pieces of paper. 

Soft paper bought from the Papermakers of Victoria. A ready-made sketchbook. 

No comments: