Sunday, February 2, 2020

02/02/2020

I have had several reminders (from my many fans!) that today's date is special!!!
We probably won't get another like it for 110 years - not in my lifetime!
So here I am, posting.

Not much to post about though.
I do have a piece that was unsuccessful in the upcoming Australian Textile Art Awards. I am not particularly surprised, it was not that wonderful. But having a call for entries was just what I have needed over this very stressful summer, with all the bad news about fires, plagues, floods, etc.

There was no theme, no particular dimensions either. That was a change for me! However, I recently (a few months ago) attended a Kathryn Harmer Fox workshop and, for some reason, thought about doing an emperor gum moth caterpillar. So I ran with that.

I thought that it would be an ok topic as the machine embroidery group at the Embroiderers Guild, Vic, has a theme of trees this year. These insects dwell in trees, so they fit.

The sewing allowed me to retreat from the horrible world - not that my own particular world, here locally, is horrible. But the news is bad, bad, bad. Heat doesn't help either, or bad air. Anyway, moving on ... I was able to concentrate on the design and sewing and find some much needed peace. So I am totally not bothered about not being accepted, the challenge provided me with much needed focus. And I can look forward to some really wonderful pieces when it is exhibited (March 21-April 5).

No comments: