Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Reflection/s

 The Embroiderers Guild, Victoria, Australia is having its annual members exhibition in a few months. I have been rather uninspired, despite the seemingly wide-ranging theme - Reflection (or maybe Reflections, I can't actually remember). 

I have been looking at images here and there, including Notan art, using the positive and negative space. 

I came across an image on 123RF, where you can get copyright images for a small fee. 


(Copyright: <a href='https://www.123rf.com/ profile_movlievyevgenii'>movlievyevgenii</a>)


I cropped the image, printed it out to the size I wanted, traced front and back and then ironed the tracings onto Vleisofix.

Today I cut them out. Then I found some silk that I had dyed at a workshop with Julie Ryder, at the Ballarat Fibre Arts Forum last year or the year before (time has less meaning recently). The silk had been folded before putting in the dye so that the resist was reflected on each folded part. 

The fabric didn't quite fit the image so I used another piece of indigo dyed silk from the workshop in the middle. I had taken some photos of trees reflected in water recently and noticed that the water was not an exact mirror image of the sky.


I tried to replicate that using some silk roving that I had. I have only laid it on so far, no glues or other means of making it permanent, so I need to get to and sew it, hoping it will stay put! 

I have a basic design. Now to try to sew some extra onto it. 

I have decided that it will need some thickness behind it and have cut out a piece of heavy interfacing to back it. 

As I have mentioned occasionally, I use this blog as a visual diary. I was able to look up a past post and see how I did a previous piece. I have not done quite the same thing but it did give me direction and inspiration. It is easier than going through multiple scrapbooks looking for past notes and images. 

No comments: