Sunday, January 16, 2022

Sunflowers for 2022

 I was given some sunflower seeds again last year and planted them a little bit late - a week or so after Melbourne Cup Day. We have had success in past years with them in a particular garden bed, that used to be a fish pond on the wall. Recent years have not been so successful though due to the fruit trees growing and throwing shade. However, the nectarine tree was heavily pruned last year so the garden bed was in full sun for a lot of the day. (Not so great at present, in the hot summery days.)

The garden bed had other plants in it - asparagus, celery, parsley, e.g. They did well but were throwing shade over a lot of the space and, maybe, outcompeting the sunflowers seeds. 

Anyway, there are 4 that survived. Two are giant russians, one is a giant (but less gigantic) bronze and I can't remember what the other one is. That one is yet to flower. 

I don't think I will be doing any artwork based on them, I am all out of oomph for new designs. But I have taken some photos, just in case. 





Suffering in the heat. 

Propped up and recovering.

                                  



No comments: