Sunday, March 29, 2020

Notan trees, sort of.

I just found this unpublished post, will post it now, even though it is out of sequence and the world has changed mightily.

This was done in early March, before the virus hit us and also before our beloved dog died! It has been strange to read it now. But I will still post it because I really do use this site as a visual diary for myself. I was much more light-hearted then.

My machine embroidery group at the Embroiderers Guild, Victoria, has the theme of trees this year. There are no specifications apart from the sewing part.

As I have done lots of tree pieces in the past, I have decided to either go back and see if I can finish unfinished pieces, reuse them or just come up with something slightly different with a new piece.

I came across Notan images recently. They are positive and negative images, coming from a Japanese tradition. That's about all I know really. Didn't do a lot of research, just liked what I saw and thought it might be fun to try.

I drew up an image and then cut it out. You paste that down and then do the cut out bits flipped over and you have your positive and negative image. Sounds easy!

Well, I did't do it the way I had been reading about, which uses a square or rectangular shape and you cut into all 4 sides. Sample here.

I came across a post which had trees but had only used two sides of the rectangle and had flipped them horizontally. I thought I would give that a go - without really trying the all four sides version first.

I did it with paper first. Don't ask why I chose orange paper, it was just to hand. No other reason.


This worked out ok so I tried it with fabric.
I had gone away for the weekend and took some of my sewing stuff with me. Unfortunately, I took the adhesive interfacing rather than the Vleisofix, so that made things a bit harder than I had planned!!

Not to be put off, I drew my design on the interfacing and ironed my fabric to it. The ironing obscured some of the drawing. And I realised it was going to be in reverse when I placed it on the backing fabric. Not to worry, there is no particular orientation.

Then I realised that my cut out pieces would have to be flipped and the interfacing would be on the wrong side. So I reversed the image and traced it again.

As I handled the pieces the interfacing started to peel off, so I took it all off, leaving a light residue of glue. That helped enormously with the ironing into place, ready for me to sew.

I chose a very bright background piece of fabric that reminded me of a sunset (or bushfires - can't get them out of my head yet). The reverse image didn't work at all well, so I only used the initial piece.


I wanted to see how the reverse image would look on less dominant fabric, so trialled two pieces I had.

I decided on a different grey, even though I wasn't sure I was going to be able to see the tree shapes. I can usually see them but have to concentrate on the light parts, they aren't always obvious to me. 



So now I have two pieces and no idea what to do with them! I know that they are just me playing around with an idea and seeing if it would work but it seems awfully wasteful to just put them in my experimental pile and/or visual diary. So I will keep thinking about them and see what occurs to me. 

6 comments:

mycamerandme365 said...

Hi Mary, I understand your pain on losing Penny as we lost our Polly last week, she was almost 12.

Unknown said...

So sorry! Penny was 15 and a bit.
It has been strange this last two and a bit weeks, I have tried to go for walks, to keep myself doing something and have gone to several parks that we used to go to together. Some we have not been to lately because she has been too elderly, some I am getting much better exercise as she couldn't walk very far or fast lately. But we miss her dreadfully.
I hope you find some solace, as we have, in not having to stress over her health when vets, food sources, etc are all messed up at the moment.
Keep well.

mycamerandme365 said...

Thanks Mary ! I know exactly what you mean regarding the shorter walks due to the dog slowing down and now being able to go faster and longer. We're trying to walk 5 Km a day, and usually achieving that.
They certainly leave a big hole in life don't they? Angus is very keen to get another companion asap, but of course all the rescue centres are in lock down. They are getting lots of new dogs in that need homes however, but they are mostly huge hunting dogs that people don't want any more.
Will you have another canine friend?

Unknown said...

The hole is huge.
We have been thinking that there might be some people in the vicinity who can't leave their house who might want their dog walked. Haven't heard of anyone yet but are keeping our ears open.
Can't think about a new dog yet. Also don't think we will get a puppy, we mightn't live long enough for its lifetime - strange to be able to say, with total truthfulness, Not in My Lifetime.

Unknown said...

Don't know why my own comments are coming up with Unknown! Will try to fix this. Obviously I haven't been using my blog enough. Should have plenty of time now - just need the energy.
But I have taken on a few challenges in the textile area that, if I actually do them, will take up a lot of time.

mycamerandme365 said...

I wouldn't be trying to find a new dog at the moment myself, but other people have other ideas!