Saturday, January 18, 2020

Exciting news.


I have been struggling, along with many people I know, to be creative when it seems as if all of our part of the world is burning, as it has been for many months.

I saw a call for entries for Vision 2020 textiles (I expect there to be quite a few exhibitions with this title in 2020) and took the chance to work on something that would require concentration and take me into the creative side, away from the real world.

It was very timely.

I have been fascinated for years with the way colours seem to change, depending on their surrounds. So I decided to use this idea.
I played around with a mind map (I looked online for a link and see that there are computer possibilities but I have learnt to do the paper and pen version) of possible ideas for Vision but came up with the colour and perception take on it.

I found some gorgeous fabric at a local fabric shop (GJs Discount Fabrics) that had a lovely gradation of colours.
I have been trying not to buy new fabrics lately but these were too lovely to resist. I bought half a metre each of about 4 different fabrics, so not too much. Only two have been used in the piece, the others are waiting for the right inspiration.
Sometimes you do have to buy fabric that doesn't have am immediate application because you know it is the sort that you use and you might not be able to get it later.

We were asked not to put images online till the selection process was completed but now it has been - and I have been selected. Feeling very chuffed!
Brenda Gael Smith is the curator and is encouraging of us to put in our process, so I will start that now.


Trying out the various leaf colours on different pieces of fabric.

I eventually decided that I wanted colours from several pieces of fabric. They are laid over some polyester, fairly thick, adhesive wadding. Then I sewed them on using free motion machine embroidery.



1 comment:

mycamerandme365 said...

Congratulations Mary, well done! I look forward to seeing more of the process and the final artwork.