Monday, February 5, 2018

Inspired by ...

This time, I am working towards the online group's Inspired By ... theme. We have set ourselves the challenge to make 4 pieces in a year. It isn't a calendar or financial year, just an arbitrary year. We are up to number 3. (Here are 1 and 2.)

I am sticking with Van Gogh and Kathryn Harmer Fox.
The Van Gogh influence is the choice of subject, a sunflower. It is seen from the side, which I don't think he did. But I am still influenced by him.

Part of the reason for the sunflowers is that we have been growing them in the backyard and we put thm in a spot that was off the ground and just outside the back door. They were perfectly situated for me to take close up photos, albeit not front on.

I chose one when it was opening up and pointing east.


The Kathryn Harmer Fox influence if from the workshop I did last April. I have also done my other two for this challenge in the same technique. One more to go.

It starts off looking relatively easy, then the making adjustments, shading, corrections, etc, comes in and there is a lot of sewing. But it is a very enjoyable technique that is also a bit forgiving.

Today I have spent a few hours mounting it onto foamcore.



I decided to leave off the ladybird because I had a bit of trouble with the background and it is now very thick and I thought I might just mess it up.

Now I have three of them, all the same size. Once I have made the next one, I will have to think about how I am going to frame and hang them. But that must be 3 months away, which may not be that far away, actually.


No comments: