Friday, August 30, 2024

Experimenting with something slightly new.

 I am finally trying something new. It may not work but I don't really care - at least I am thinking again.

I have a lovely scarf that I bought a few years ago. It was made by Michelle Mischkulnig. I haven't worn scarves much recently but it turned out to be perfect for something I went to recently.

I had a good look at it and I think I know what she did. I have done a workshop with her but this was a totally different technique. 

I think it is made using dyed mulberry silk and sewn heavily to keep it together. 

(I have just looked at my blog and looked at what we did - it may be that I should/could have used silk hankies as that seems to be what I used at the workshop. Oh well.)

I was at the Handweavers and Spinners Guild a couple of weeks ago and just couldn't resist the beautiful colours they had - of the unspun silk. 


I laid a bit out onto some dissolvable fabric and sewed over it rather heavily. 


I didn't really have a good plan, just thought I would see what eventuated. I was influenced by the upcoming Embroiderers Guild of Victoria (Australia) exhibition. The theme is Making Waves. Despite my desire NOT to do the ocean, I have done some experimenting with a variety of blue and white silks and it looks like waves!!

Anyway, I don't know what I will do with the two pieces I have made.

 Tonight I decided to try something different. 

I had a pattern for a hanging Christmas decoration. I've had it for years, have used it to make paper decorations but not fabric. 

I traced the pattern onto the soluble fabric, laid out some silk and sewed over it. 



I could still see the tracing on one so have cut it before dissolving the soluble fabric. I couldn't see the pattern on the other one so have just dissolved it and hope to be able to trace the pattern back on once it has dried.  
I have tried putting a skewer through the piece to see if that helps it to dry in a way that would be helpful. I don't think it will matter if the other one dries flat, I can sew the bits into the shape I want - after I manage to cut it correctly. 

In case you are wondering, I am intending to have the pieces wrapped around a skewer or a piece of warp thread so that they can move freely - air waves making them move, 

No comments: