Monday, July 20, 2020

20/7/20

I was reminded of the date today - after I had commented that I had no idea it was Monday. What strange times we are living in.

Anyway, not much to report. I have been working on my blackwork again - was going to write 'beavering' but it is more like 'struggling'. I am doing a sampler for my course and we are up to the shading stage. I have done one bit that is shading according to the threads used, one that is by the pattern (which I repeated because the first one just wasn't right) and am now working on a combination.

I have pulled out the first part several times, to the extent that I am worried that I might be damaging the fabric, so I have pulled out the first iteration and am ploughing on with the pattern and different threads. I am not going to pull it out even when (not if) I find mistakes.
It was necessary to draw the designs on graph paper , partially to get an idea of how to sew the shapes and not have to cary the thread too much across the back. Turns out the drawing and the doing are quite different things!

I have to have a magnifying glass as well as my glasses, that I don't use for anything else, as the fabric is of a smaller weave than I have been using and is hard to see. So I am having a rest now.

We are about to get to the stage where we design a shape and put in shading from dark to light, then work out what pattern to use for the shading. Sounds easy - but now I am not so sure, I have struggled with the sampler, so am less confident. But I have been doing my doodling for ages, might try to use one of those patterns in the near future, maybe try for something a bit more abstract.

Someone sent me a link to some interesting blackwork that is connected to doodling/zentangels, so I hope to be inspired by that. But it won't be any quicker as a process, I expect.

No comments: