Saturday, February 6, 2010

Cubism and Australian Art

My friend and I visited the Heide Museum of Modern Art today to see the Cubism and Australian Art exhibition. It ranged from the beginning of the 20th century to the present time. It was interesting to see some art that was around in my childhood and youth. We could see strong correlations to the work and some of the fabrics we remember being available at the time. There was some amazing work there, and some that we wondered why anyone would have bought it, let alone keep for a long time.
One of the art works that I especially liked was a DVD and sound show. It showed fragmented visions of people moving, as if seen through distorted glass. Unfortunately I can't remember the artist but I recommend going to see it if you are in the area.
One artist whose work I particularly liked was Godfrey Miller. (I did not find many links with images of his work, sorry.)
I hadn't heard of him before but I loved the work. I loved the way the scenes had been broken down into very small shapes but that the overall image was clear. I am slowly discovering that I like cubism, or some aspects of it. I have not had an extensive art education and it is a whole new world for me. Many of the movement names do not resonate with me but I find that I like particular artists. I have been having a very good education this year, with my opportunities to see so much museum quality art.
The course I am doing has had me looking at art for inspiration and it is an area that I have not studied or been exposed to very much in the past. I am still learning my own tastes.
It is always an adventure to go to an art exhibition as I do not have many preconceived ideas about what I will be seeing. I have been to quite a few exhibitions recently but that is not normal for me. I am going to try to go to more in the future. I am also trying to work through Walking in this World by Julia Cameron, and one of the artist's dates I am trying to give myself on a fairly regular basis is to go to some exhibitions and gallery shows. So this week I have succeeded.

No comments: